Robert Boyle, illustrious scientist and Fellow of the Royal Society, described how, while in Geneva on a continental holiday, he underwent a conversion from nominal, unthinking Christianity to committed Christianity. As a result of his experiences, he stressed the need for Christians to have what he called an “examined faith.” 
John Stott, discussing Paul’s letter to the Christians in Philippi, drew attention to the importance for all Christians to heed the apostle’s exhortation to “contend for the faith of the Gospel.” He continues, “This describes a combination of evangelism and apologetics, not only proclaiming the gospel, but also defending it and arguing for its truth.”
Echoing the views of Robert Boyle and John Stott, Mark Noll says, “If what we claim about Jesus Christ is true, then evangelicals should be among the most active, most serious, and most open-minded advocates of general human learning.” [Read more…] about Time to discuss faith, psychology and neuroscience?
Thou has given so much to me
Give one thing more â€“ a grateful heart;
Not thankful when it pleases me,
As if Thy blessings had spare days;
But such a heart, whose pulse may be Thy praise
- What Are You Thankful For? The Spiritual Discipline of GratitudeÂ (Mike Hickerson. ESN Blog. 11/20/2012).
- Living the Christian YearÂ (Mike Hickerson. ESN Blog. 11/28/2010): interview ofÂ Bobby Gross, director of InterVarsity Graduate and Faculty Ministries, regarding material he delves into in Living the Christian Year:Â Time to Inhabit the Story of God (InterVarsity Press. 2009).
- How would you summarize how the overemphasis on or neglect of either the head, hearts or hands dimension of one’s faith (or the faith of one’s faith community) causes one to be less than what God envisions for us as His children?
- How does your faith community address the God-desired balance of head, hearts and hands for our lives? Note: The local assembly of which I’m a member and partnered with in this study is part of the Brethren in Christ Church. As such their core values receive attention in the below post. What are the core values/doctrines of the local assembly (and denomination if applicable) of which you are a member? How do they address the God-desired balance of head, hearts and hands? [Read more…] about Head, Heart and Hands Together: Implications and Challenges
- Has the balance/relationship of head, heart and hands been explored/discussed in some manner in your field?
- If so, what has been the conversation?
- If not, how might you propose research and writing on the balance/relationship ofÂ head, heart and handsÂ Â in your field?
How would you present the biblical case for a faith with well-developed and balanced dimensions of