If you’re headed to the American Scientific Affiliation 2017 Annual Meeting, join ESN for the following events. Even if you’re not able to go, we would deeply appreciate your prayers. Hope to see many of you there! ESN’s events at the ASA conference are made possible through the support of an award from the Science and Theology for Emerging Adult Ministries project at Fuller Theological Seminary. The opinions expressed are those of the speaker(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of Fuller or the STEAM project. Check out our faith/science series, another part of our STEAM grant project, or read about the whole project here.
Did you see The Martian? Do you like breakfast? If either of those things rings true and you’re coming to the American Scientific Affiliation Annual Meeting this weekend, join us for the student/early career breakfast on Saturday. We’ll hear about The Martian from a scientist with actual Mars Rover experience. Read on to learn more about this, other informal opportunities for early career scientists and students, and the student track sessions (also in the program).
Student/Early Career Special Events, ASA 2017 Annual Meeting
- Saturday Breakfast With a Brief Talk on The Martian
- Yes, breakfast starts early (7 am), but we’ll have stimulating conversation and caffeine will be available. A scientist with Mars Rover experience will share briefly (5-7 minutes) about the film and how it relates to his work, and we’ll also have time to hang out. Whether you like Mars movies or bacon and eggs, join us for this fun, informal breakfast event.
- When: Saturday morning, 7:00-8:15 am (location in ASA program)
- Sunday Evening InterVarsity / Meet the Plenaries Reception (all welcome, whatever your career stage)
- Be sure to join us for this opportunity to meet plenary speakers, hang out with others, and enjoy a savory evening snack.
- When: 9:30 pm, Sunday (location in ASA program)
- Saturday Speed Mentoring
- We’ll have two speed mentoring opportunities as part of the student/early career track on Saturday. During these half hour slots, we’ll introduce a group of mentors, and then track attendees will get a chance to be in small group conversations with them. You’ll have an optional opportunity to switch groups 3 times so you can get gems of wisdom from several mentors in one half hour segment. Join us for this fun and fast-paced way to meet some other scientists and start a few conversations you can come back to.
- Stop by the ESN booth in the exhibit hall for a list of mentors. You may recognize some ESN authors and an Urbana seminar speaker in the list!
- Note: At Urbana15 Josh Swamidass addressed the important topic: Why should a missional student ever consider gradschool?
- When: Saturday, 11:15 am and 2:15 pm (location in ASA program)
- The Emerging Scholars Network (ESN) / InterVarsity Press (IVP) booth in the exhibit hall will be a meeting place throughout the conference. Please stop by to . . .
- Say “Hi!”
- Get connected.
- Pick-up one of our resources.
- Drop off a question for one of our mentors.
- Share a prayer request.
- Enjoy a first draft of Scholar’s Compass: a devotional written for and by scholars, gathered from ESN blog posts, and hear about our next steps with this growing resource.
- Learn about our Faith-Science booklet based upon a blog series funded by the STEAM Grant,
- Page through several insightful IVP books on science-faith and register for a book drawing.
- And more 🙂
To God be the glory!