ESN likes to share opportunities for Christian scholars. Today a friend in the Harvey Fellowship program describes her experience and invites ESN members to apply.
After I graduated from a rigorous Christian college, I thought I knew a thing or two about the integration of faith and learning. Without a doubt, my alma mater gave me an excellent start. But since graduation my journey as a follower of Christ and as an academic has been most powerfully shaped by my experience as a Harvey Fellow. I was fortunate to be encouraged and befriended by two Harvey Fellows while I was in graduate school, even before I had applied—one in my Ph.D. program and the other in my church. The Harvey Fellows Program has continued to connect me with other academics and leaders who have similar faith commitments. These relationships, in my experience, are what make participation in the program such a blessing.
How can you join this group of scholars? Apply for the Harvey Fellowship! Here are a few things you need to know in order to do so. First, a bit about the program: the Harvey Fellows Program provides financial support to Christian students pursuing graduate studies at premier institutions with a vision to impact society through their vocations. For more than twenty years, the Program has sought to mark, equip, and encourage individuals to actively integrate their faith and vocation as leaders in strategic occupations. Fellows who are selected through a competitive process receive a $16,000 stipend that may be renewed for up to an additional two years.
The Harvey Fellows Program welcomes applicants who
- proclaim and actively seek to demonstrate personal faith in Jesus Christ and a desire to serve and witness in His name.
- are enrolled in or have applied to a full-time graduate degree program.
- have applied to or are attending a premier educational institution—typically those with an internationally recognized reputation as a “top five” program in the specific discipline or field.
- Can demonstrate that their intended vocational fields have a significant impact on society, and yet appear to be underrepresented by Christians—that is, they are in “strategic” fields. The most successful applicants tend to be preparing for careers in the following fields:
- Management, economics, and finance
- Public policy, diplomacy, and law
- Film production and the arts
- Applied and theoretical sciences
- University teaching and research
Applications must be completed online and are accepted between August 1 and November 1 for Fellowships to begin in the fall of the following academic year. The deadline for applications to be completed is November 1. All applicants are notified of award decisions by March 1. Additional information about the program and application process can be found at www.harveyfellows.org.
About the author:
The Emerging Scholars Network is always seeking opportunities to identify, encourage, and equip the next generation of Christian scholars to be a redeeming influence in the academy, church, and the world. As you have an announcement, a "call for papers", an event, a prayer request (e.g., campus, field, higher ed), a resource suggestion, a review, etc., which is in concord with our Kingdom of God endeavor, please send materials (marketing/sales material not accepted) for consideration to post via email or the ESN Writer Survey. Thank-you. To God be the glory!
Leave a Reply