How Academics See Evangelicals: A Tentative Reading List

Christ Church Cathedral at Oxford

Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, which is both a cathedral and a college chapel

Last week, I asked for recommendations for resources on how academics view evangelical Christians. Thank you for all of your great suggestions! In addition to the comments on the blog, I received several more suggestions by email, as well as a generous offer: T. M. Luhrmann, whose book When God Talks Back inspired by post and research project, contacted me and offered to send me a review copy of her copy. I’ll be writing at least one post about the book later this year, most likely in June.

Image credit: Wikipedia

So, here is the tentative reading list I’ve assembled from your recommendations, in no particular order. Do you have any comments or further suggestions?

I also plan on looking at Paul Bramadat’s The Church on the World’s Turf : An Evangelical Christian Group at a Secular University if I can find a decent price on it, as well as the Evangelical Studies Bulletin, which came recommended by James Sire. I’m not sure if ESB fits my original request, but when Dr. Sire recommends something, I read first and ask questions later.

Any additional suggestions? In addition to Elaine Ecklund’s excellent book, does anyone know of research on the interactions between scientists and evangelicals?

mikehickerson@gmail.com'

Micheal Hickerson

The former Associate Director for the Emerging Scholars Network, Micheal lives in Cincinnati with his wife and three children and works as a web manager for a national storage and organization company. He writes about work, vocation, and finding meaning in what you do at No Small Actors.

More Posts - Website

TwitterFacebook

6 Comments

• vosburg@hmc.edu'
    Dave Vosburg commented on April 25, 2012 Reply

Mike,

There is some discussion of the interaction between evangelicals and scientists in Kinnaman’s book You Lost Me:

• mikehickerson@gmail.com'
      Micheal Hickerson commented on April 26, 2012 Reply

Thanks, Dave. If this project goes well, I might make science & evangelicals a focus of another project. I’d also like to read Plantinga’s new book on the subject.

• dale.vanderwall@gmail.com'
    Dale commented on April 25, 2012 Reply

Another possibility might be James Davison Hunter’s “To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World.” He critiques the Christian Right, Left, and Neo-Anabaptists and their world-changing views. He argues that we need a different paradigm of Christian engagement with the world, one that he calls “faithful presence.”

• mikehickerson@gmail.com'
      Micheal Hickerson commented on April 26, 2012 Reply

Thanks, Dale – Hunter’s book is excellent. I’ve already read it, so didn’t include it above, but it will probably be on the short list of any bibliography I create.

Have you seen Ross Douthat’s new book Bad Religion? He seems to be covering similar ground to Hunter.

• dale.vanderwall@gmail.com'
    Dale commented on April 26, 2012 Reply

Haven’t seen it but sounds interesting. All the best with your reading!

• read@heartsandmindsbooks.com'
    Byron Borger commented on May 21, 2012 Reply

Thanks for asking about this, earlier. I’ll keep thinking. Here is an interesting guy who writes for USA Today, maybe even working on a book called “The Evangelicals You Don’t Know” or something like that… http://tomkrattenmaker.com/?p=65