As the Emerging Scholars Network (ESN) presses into the new year, I am really excited about our expanding and deepening team of writers. Our team passionately supports and interacts with those on the academic pathway, working out how their academic vocation serves God, neighbor, community, and creation. In addition to our weekly Sunday morning reflections to focus our week (a number of which areÂ Scholar’s Compass devotionals), periodic offerings by ESN’s editors / writers (i.e., ESN Announcements,Â Hannah EaglesonÂ and Tom Grosh IV) and weekly science posts by Andy WalshÂ (including a book discussion ofÂ When Science and Christianity MeetÂ beginning 2/7), don’t miss . . .
- Mark Eckel, who will expand Scholarâ€™s Compass.
- Royce Francis, who began a Masterclass in writing with Written on Their Hearts: Writing, Worship, and Spiritual Formation in the Life of the Mind. Note: This series will run for the length of the spring semester, weaving together theological reflection and practical suggestions on becoming a skilled writer in general and within your field. Royce will also provide exercises each week to give readers a way to put the ideas in the series into practice.
- Heather Walker Peterson and several other authors, who will provide a series of reflections for Lent.
- Scott Santibanez, who will offer a series later in the term.
- and more 🙂
By God’s grace, we’re seeking to expand
- advice for postdocs. Note: At present the core of these posts are a popular series concentrating on the sciences byÂ Kelly Seaton.
- calling as we build toward our offerings at and coverage of the Urbana Student Missions Conference. Hope you can join us in St. Louis (December 27 – 31)!
- considerations of mental health, which became a strong theme at the end of 2017.
- recommendations onÂ spiritual formation in busy times.
- STEAM (Science and Theology for Emerging Adult Ministries) Grant series as we build toward the creation of a booklet curriculum for campus groups. This project was made possible through the support of an award from the Science and Theology for Emerging Adult Ministries project at Fuller Theological Seminary. Praise God!
- time management tips, with Time Management and the Daily RoutineÂ by Winston Brady coming next week. Stay tuned!
Please continue to let us know your suggestions of writers,Â topics, and / or resources.
To God be the glory!
About the author:
Tom enjoys daily conversations regarding living out the Biblical Story with his wife Theresa and their four girls, around the block, at Elizabethtown Brethren in Christ Church (where he teaches adult electives and co-leads a small group), among healthcare professionals as the Northeast Regional Director for the Christian Medical & Dental Associations (CMDA), and in higher ed as a volunteer with the Emerging Scholars Network (ESN). For a number of years, the Christian Medical Society / CMDA at Penn State College of Medicine was the hub of his ministry with CMDA. Note: Tom served with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship / USA for 20+ years, including 6+ years as the Associate Director of ESN. He has written for the ESN blog from its launch in August 2008. He has studied Biology (B.S.), Higher Education (M.A.), Spiritual Direction (Certificate), Spiritual Formation (M.A.R.), Ministry to Emerging Generations (D.Min.). To God be the glory!