Scholar’s Compass, ESN’s new devotional by and for scholars, is taking shape. We’ll be launching September 8 with posts three times weekly. We’ve had about 55 responses to our survey, and we’re excited to talk more with each of you. If you haven’t had a chance yet to respond, we’d love to hear from you.
Which themes do you want Scholar’s Compass to engage? We’ll be exploring a number of themes and ideas as the work takes shape, and we’d love to know which ones interest you. We envision this as a collaborative project from start to finish, and we’d love to know which of the following themes you find especially compelling–or if you have other ideas.
The fundamental question of the devotional will be how faith and academic vocation fit together, and that can work itself out through many different themes. Here are some we’re considering:
Based on Your Title Ideas
- Well-versed–becoming knowledgeable and skilled in your vocation
- Works in Progress–growing across time in your vocation
- Midnight Oil–thriving in the busy times
- Deeper Roots–growing into your vocation
- The Table–hospitality and your vocation, the theology of food and your vocation
- Thriving in Season–growing in the seasons of academic life (times of the semester, different career points)
- Charting a path–charting the shape of your career, whether tenure track, adjunct, or in between
- Choices on the Way–making wise decisions about how your vocation intersects with the Way of Christ
- Gathered Pieces–bringing different parts of your vocation together
- Iterations–Learning from revisions (of papers, plans, etc.)
- Ora et Labora–weaving together prayer and work in vocation
Based on Other Conversations
- Loving God and Vocation
- Worship and Vocation
- Starting Well (the year, the semester)
- The Work of Our Hands: Academic Vocation and Physical Work
- Avocation and Vocation: What We Learn About Vocation from Other Skills/Interests
- Family and Vocation
- Friendship and Vocation
- Loving Your Neighbor and Vocation
- Vocation When Things Don’t Go As You’re Expecting
- Caring for God’s Creation and Vocation
- Advent and Vocation – how Advent reminds us of our vocation as believers and scholars living in God’s larger story
- Lent and Vocation
- Easter and Vocation
- Challenge and Vocation
Others You Suggest
We can’t wait to hear what interests you.
Let us know your favorites or new ideas in the comments, or drop us an email.
8/20/2014: Scholars’ Compass revised to Scholar’s Compass. More on the revision in a future post.