Scholar’s Compass, ESNâ€™s new devotional by and for scholars, is taking shape. Weâ€™ll be launching September 8 with posts three times weekly. Weâ€™ve had about 55 responses to our survey, and weâ€™re excited to talk more with each of you. If you havenâ€™t had a chance yet to respond, weâ€™d love to hear from you.
Which themes do you want Scholar’s Compass to engage? Weâ€™ll be exploring a number of themes and ideas as the work takes shape, and weâ€™d love to know which ones interest you. We envision this as a collaborative project from start to finish, and weâ€™d love to know which of the following themes you find especially compellingâ€“or if you have other ideas.
The fundamental question of the devotional will be how faith and academic vocation fit together, and that can work itself out through many different themes. Here are some weâ€™re considering:
Based on Your Title IdeasÂ
- Well-versedâ€“becoming knowledgeable and skilled in your vocation
- Works in Progressâ€“growing across time in your vocation
- Midnight Oilâ€“thriving in the busy times
- Deeper Rootsâ€“growing into your vocation
- The Tableâ€“hospitality and your vocation, the theology of food and your vocation
- Thriving in Seasonâ€“growing in the seasons of academic life (times of the semester, different career points)
- Charting a pathâ€“charting the shape of your career, whether tenure track, adjunct, or in between
- Choices on the Wayâ€“making wise decisions about how your vocation intersects with the Way of Christ
- Gathered Piecesâ€“bringing different parts of your vocation together
- Iterationsâ€“Learning from revisions (of papers, plans, etc.)
- Ora et Laboraâ€“weaving together prayer and work in vocation
Based on Other Conversations
- Loving God and Vocation
- Worship and Vocation
- Starting Well (the year, the semester)
- The Work of Our Hands: Academic Vocation and Physical Work
- Avocation and Vocation: What We Learn About Vocation from Other Skills/Interests
- Family and Vocation
- Friendship and Vocation
- Loving Your Neighbor and Vocation
- Vocation When Things Donâ€™t Go As Youâ€™re Expecting
- Caring for Godâ€™s Creation and Vocation
- Advent and Vocation â€“ how Advent reminds us of our vocation as believers and scholars living in Godâ€™s larger story
- Lent and Vocation
- Easter and Vocation
- Challenge and Vocation
Others You Suggest
We canâ€™t wait to hear what interests you.
Let us know your favorites or new ideas in the comments, or drop us an email.
8/20/2014: Scholars’ Compass revised to Scholar’s Compass. More on the revision in a future post.
About the author:
Dr. Hannah Eagleson loves building the ecosystem Christian scholars need to flourish and create positive impacts, in the university and beyond. She is Associate Director of InterVarsityâ€™s Emerging Scholars Network, a digital first ministry serving thousands of early career Christian scholars. Dr. Eagleson launched the ESN student/early career track at the American Scientific Affiliation annual faith and science conference. She is the editor of *Science and Faith: Student Questions Explored* (Hendrickson, 2019), and the one-semester guidebook *Scholarâ€™s Compass: Connecting Faith & Work for Academics* (InterVarsity Emerging Scholars Network, 2021), with design by noted liturgical artist Ned Bustard. She also launched the Scholar's Compass online devotional series in her previous role as ESN Editor. Dr. Eagleson holds an MA from St. Johnâ€™s College (Annapolis, MD) and a PhD in Renaissance literature from the University of Delaware.