ESNâ€™s new devotional for scholars launches September 7, and weâ€™re planning the themes or threads that it will feature across the year. In keeping with our title of Scholar’s Compass,Â we’ve chosen the idea of navigation to tie these threads together. We’ve tried to incorporate your ideas, though some we’re saving as potential names or threads if we do another devotional in future. Glance through our list, then suggest your ideas in the comments.
Scholarâ€™s Compass Themes So Far
- Navigating Knowledge: Integrating Faith and the Details of Your Subject
- Navigating Research:Â Becoming well-versed in your field
- Navigating Home: the Household and Academic Vocation
- Navigating a Path: Shaping Your Career in Light of Vocation
- Navigating the Work of Your Hands: Learning about Academic Vocation through Physical Work
- Navigating Place and Vocation: Your Geography and Your Vocation
- Navigating Transitions: Your Vocation during Change
- Navigating the Rapids: When it doesn’t go as you expect
- Navigating Teaching: How Vocation Shapes Pedagogy
- Navigating Justice: Your Academic Vocation and Seeking Justice
Call For Topics
Weâ€™re so grateful for your responses to our Scholarâ€™s Compass posts. Theyâ€™ve made the project richer, deeper, and more engaging. Tell us what else youâ€™d like to see or write on the theme of navigating.
About the author:
Dr. Hannah Eagleson loves building the ecosystem Christian scholars need to flourish and create positive impacts, in the university and beyond. She is Associate Director of InterVarsityâ€™s Emerging Scholars Network, a digital first ministry serving thousands of early career Christian scholars. Dr. Eagleson launched the ESN student/early career track at the American Scientific Affiliation annual faith and science conference. She is the editor of *Science and Faith: Student Questions Explored* (Hendrickson, 2019), and the one-semester guidebook *Scholarâ€™s Compass: Connecting Faith & Work for Academics* (InterVarsity Emerging Scholars Network, 2021), with design by noted liturgical artist Ned Bustard. She also launched the Scholar's Compass online devotional series in her previous role as ESN Editor. Dr. Eagleson holds an MA from St. Johnâ€™s College (Annapolis, MD) and a PhD in Renaissance literature from the University of Delaware.