Update:Â ESN Survey closes 2/18 at mid-night (Eastern). 175 responses already received.Â Winners will be announced on 2/21.Â
I can’t wait to prayerfully consider all your feedback!Â
Note: Adapted from an email sent to members of the Emerging Scholars Network (ESN). If you did not receive a copy and desire to be on the cutting edge of ESN, then I encourage you to becomeÂ a member of ESN. If you are a member, but did not receive the email due to your contact information having changed, then please email me updated material so that we can stay connected. Thank-you. ~ Tom.
Thank you for your partnership with the Emerging Scholars Network (ESN)Â before and over this past year and your continuing commitment as we seek to increase our online publications/conversation and personal communication. This month weâ€™re looking forward to learning how to serve each of you better through a survey.
As part of our thank you for completing the survey, we will randomly select two winners to receive their choice of InterVarsity Press books with a retail value of up to $100 per winner! We will announce the winner on February 21st. To participate in the survey, please follow this link. Note: to be eligible for the drawingÂ one must beÂ a member of ESN.
Also this month we are featuring the following blog posts and webpages for you to visit:
- Dealing with Tension between Science and the BibleÂ by Tom IngebritsenÂ begins a series about the relationship between science and Christian faith. “I want to begin by addressing why Iâ€™m interested in this topic. I became a Christian in the middle of my academic career as a biology professor at Iowa State University. . . .”
- Finding a Postdoc in the Sciences: Nailing the InterviewÂ by Kelly Seaton, a postdoc at Duke University, continues to be one of our most visited posts ever.
- The Best Christian Book of All Time Selection ShowÂ by Micheal Hickerson was not only the most visited post in 2013, but now sits as the 2nd most visited ESN blog post ever, behindÂ What’s the purpose of a university?
- Confession/correction (2/3/2014, 9:20 am):Â I should haveÂ checkedÂ the stats before posting. I see thatÂ Finding a Postdoc in the Sciences: Nailing the InterviewÂ is now back into 2nd place. I wonder if this was a response to the email version of this post sent to members on Friday. May many exploring postdoctoral work be finding Kelly’s whole series on Finding a Postdoc in the Sciences a blessing.
- InterVarsity Graduate and Faculty Ministries: Please visit and invite others to enjoy the newly redesigned GFM website. The Emerging Scholars Network team gave significant energy to this project.Â To God be the glory!
- Read an extended excerpt ofÂ Dallas Willard‘s Living in Christ’s Presence: Final Words on Heaven and the Kingdom of God (InterVarsity Press, 2013).
- Bonus (2/3/2014, 2:37 pm): This afternoon I received a request for the link to the audio file for Dallas Willard’s Shaping Our Inner World (Following Christ ’98). And yes, I couldn’t resist sharing the wealthÂ with you :)Â Warning (2/4/20014, 3:16 pm): It was passed along that the last minutes were lost. I listened and such is the case. I found this tag on another webpage, “This was recorded on a 30 minute cassette in 1998. The sound quality is a bit muddy, and the final minutes of the talk were not recorded.” But this search brought to my attention:Â Closing addressÂ by Dallas Willard at Following Christ 2002.
AND donâ€™t miss ESNâ€™s March Madness 2014! OnÂ Friday, February 14 at 8am, weâ€™ll post the new tourney (no weâ€™re not going back to books) on the ESN blog and invite your submissions. In the next ESN Month-in-Review, weâ€™ll announce the brackets, which will also be posted on the blog. I canâ€™t wait for the games to beginÂ 🙂.
Thank you again for being part of our desire to see Godâ€™s Kingdom expand into higher education. If you have interest in gathering friends for conversation and/or writing for the blog, let us know so we can support you in these endeavors. And if you feel called to partner with us financially, you can make a donation to ESNÂ here.
Thomas B. Grosh IV
InterVarsity Christian Fellowship
Associate Director, Emerging Scholars Network
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ- to the glory and praise of God. -Â Philippians 1:9-11
About the author:
Tom enjoys daily conversations regarding living out the Biblical Story with his wife Theresa and their four girls, around the block, at Elizabethtown Brethren in Christ Church (where he teaches adult electives and co-leads a small group), among healthcare professionals as the Northeast Regional Director for the Christian Medical & Dental Associations (CMDA), and in higher ed as a volunteer with the Emerging Scholars Network (ESN). For a number of years, the Christian Medical Society / CMDA at Penn State College of Medicine was the hub of his ministry with CMDA. Note: Tom served with InterVarsity Christian Fellowship / USA for 20+ years, including 6+ years as the Associate Director of ESN. He has written for the ESN blog from its launch in August 2008. He has studied Biology (B.S.), Higher Education (M.A.), Spiritual Direction (Certificate), Spiritual Formation (M.A.R.), Ministry to Emerging Generations (D.Min.). To God be the glory!