New from Zondervan, A Faith and Culture Devotional seems custom-made for ESN members. Edited by Kelly Monroe Kullberg (of the Veritas Forum, Finding God at Harvard, Finding God Beyond Harvard, and, most recently, InterVarsity’s Women in the Academy and Professions) and Lael Arrington (host of the radio show The Things That Matter Most), the devotional is designed to be read daily for 15 weeks. Each week, there is one reading from seven different subject areas: theology, history, philosophy, science, literature, arts, and contemporary culture.
If that doesn’t interest you, here are some of the authors of those daily readings:
Dallas Willard, Gary Habermas, William Lane Craig, Darrell Bock, Randy Alcorn, Scot McKnight, Walter C. Kaiser, Frederica Matthewes-Green, James Emery White, J. P. Moreland, John Mark Reynolds, Francis Collins, Hugh Ross, Michael Behe, Walter L. Bradley, Philip Yancey, Gene Edward Veith, Joy Jordan-Lake, Charles Colson, Francis Schaeffer
If you’re not an author-kind-of-reader, here are just a few of the more-interesting section titles:
- Jesus’ Resurrection: When Truth Confronts Our Worst Suffering
- The French Revolution: Lessons in Spiritual Influence
- The Sociobiology of E.O.Wilson
- The Periodic Table of Elements
- Gerard Manley Hopkins: The Sacrament of Struggle
- Rembrandt van Rijn: The Return of the Prodigal Son
- Tending the Garden Planet
When’s the last time you picked up a devotional with a daily reading about the periodic table?