The Emerging Scholars Network (ESN) wants to support you in 5 ways this coming academic year:
1. Sharing stories and ideas from other Christian scholars at our blog. This year we’ve published a series on writing for academics by engineering professor Royce Francis, a practical series on connecting with colleagues by communications professor Renee Bourdeaux, and our Scholar’s Compass devotional, to name a few. We want to bring you more stories and advice from colleagues this academic year.
2. Connecting you to community through conferences, online calls, and links to local fellowships. In the 2017/2018 academic year, we helped create a new early career track at the annual American Scientific Affiliation (ASA) faith/science conference, provided science communications training through an online video call with the science editor of Christianity Today, and connected students and faculty to national networks and local fellowships of Christian scholars. Our goal is to connect more Christian academics to community in 2018/2019.
3. Providing funding for conferences and research. We were thrilled to provide conference travel funding to the 2017 ASA faith/science conference, and delighted to partner in providing two flexible grants to early career professors through the Christian Scholars Foundation. In the 2018/2019 academic year, we look forward to providing the Christian Scholars Grant opportunity to our members again and exploring other ways to help resource Christian academics.
4. Sending encouragement to ESN members through regular update emails. This year we launched regular update emails to tell the stories of Christian scholars and make you aware of events and articles designed to encourage Christian academics. We plan to continue curating great articles and events in the 2018/2019 academic year. (You can sign up for these by updating your profile at the membership link on the side of our page, or joining and selecting to receive them if you aren’t yet a member).
5. Supporting grad students and faculty at Urbana 18. Urbana 15 was an important jumpstart for much of ESN’s current ministry, leading to many new participants writing for the ESN blog, participating in other ESN events, taking local leadership in InterVarsity grad/faculty ministry, and connecting with us over time. We’re currently planning Urbana 18 support for grad students, professors, and undergraduate students headed to grad school. Stay tuned for more on our seminars, funding support for Urbana participants, and more.
That’s a glimpse of what we did to support emerging Christian scholars in the 2017/2018 academic year, and what we hope to do next. You also made this happen, as scholars who write for ESN, volunteer as speakers and mentors for our events, give financially, and pray for your colleagues. Thank you!
This academic year, we hope to reach thousands of aspiring Christian academics with resources for integrating faith and academic life. As we work to support you, we’d also like to ask for your help. Our greatest need right now is to expand Dr. Eagleson’s work to coordinate our online network and strengthen our national collaborations. We need $1469 per month next year for Dr. Eagleson’s work. We have raised $484 per month of that amount and need to raise an additional monthly amount of $985. Would you prayerfully consider becoming a regular donor or giving a special gift today?
Thank you so much for being part of this dynamic community of Emerging Scholars!
Dr. Hannah Eagleson, Writer / Editor / Events
Tom Grosh IV, Associate Director