As the Emerging Scholars Network (ESN) works to support local communities more fully, from time to time we’ll feature stories about local ESN hubs and talk about how they interact with their communities. Today’s post features Associate Director Tom Grosh IV’s own area, South Central Pennsylvania. Tom Grosh and Hannah Eagleson (ESN Writer/Editor) talked with Christian radio station WJTL about ESN’s work nationally and in South Central PA.
Tom’s conversation with local radio station WJTL gave ESN an opportunity to reflect on ministry in South Central PA.
- Fred McNaughton welcomes Emerging Scholars Network to “The Get Up and Go Show!” (10/23, 6 min, 27 sec). http://directory.libsyn.com/episode/index/id/3139337.
- Also available for download at http://wjtl.com/listen/wjtl-casts/ (Emerging Scholars Network Oct 23 Part 1, Emerging Scholars Network Oct 23 Part 2).
In Tom’s area, opportunities for ESN include:
• Supporting faculty/emerging scholars at local liberal arts colleges and state universities. Tom’s really excited about a growing partnership with InterVarsity’s undergraduate ministry not only in the area, but also the region. A shout out to Jesse and Dakota!
• Partnering with the Christian Medical Society (CMS)/Christian Medical and Dental Association at Penn State Hershey College of Medicine.
• Connecting faculty with local communities through the Central PA Christian Scholar’s Network.
• Partnering with parents to support students in transition from one step of education to the next.
• Speaking at local congregations on Christianity and the intellectual life.
• Partnering with a local congregation (Elizabethtown Brethren in Christ Church) and library (Elizabethtown Public Library) in creating a Christian Scholar/Author series.
• What Is the Value of College? with Santa Ono, President of the University of Cincinnati (photo to the right). Stay tuned for upcoming posts :)
• The Lordship of Christ with Richard Mouw, recently retired President of Fuller Theological Seminary
• How do we respond to these cultural influences? with Walt Mueller, founder and President of the Center for Parent/Youth Understanding (CPYU)
• Finding Calcutta with Mary Poplin, Professor of Education, Claremont Graduate School
• Head, Heart, Hands with Dennis Hollinger, President of Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
• Showing of The Amish (American Experience) and Q&A with Donald Kraybill, Distinguished College Professor/Senior Fellow, Young Center at Elizabethtown College and advisor to PBS program, in partnership with the Elizabethtown Public Library
• Author series at Elizabethtown Public Library.
Upcoming ESN Local events include:
• Chris Smith: Slow Church Book Tour Visit in partnership with a number local ministries including Hearts and Minds Bookstore (11/7, Light Refreshments served, 7 pm), The Core at Elizabethtown Brethren in Christ Church (11/9, Dinner served, 6 pm), and Evangelical Theological Seminary (11/10, Breakfast served, 7:30 am).
• In conversation with Santa Ono to have him return in the spring :) Stay tuned. . . .
Do you have an ESN Local story you’d like us to highlight? Would you like to partner with ESN to organize events in your area? Please email us.
And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of God. — Philippians 1:9-11
Update: 10/29/2014, 8:55 am.